The Bunny Blog

A small, yellow aesthete navigating the line between high and low culture.

Monday, October 01, 2007

I Fell For It.



There are all these little fool-you tricks in TV that I fall for Every.Single.Time.

The latest was "Ugly Betty," which had an action-packed season debut on Thursday. Last we saw, Betty tells her sister Hilda that her fiance (and baby daddy - or in this case, Justin daddy) Santos was shot in a wrongplace/wrongtime robbery situation.

In this episode, Hilda is in her room with Santos, who has gauze around his torso and is recuperating from the shooting. They dilly dally in the room till he finally asks her to let him leave, so they can go outside and experience the real world again. But she's scared, and holds onto him with great trepidation.

Cut to her holding a pillow, not Santos. Now, i should have seen this coming a mile away, but I didn't, because I WANTED him to be alive (ever the optimist, I am!). It was a wonderful play on viewers' imaginations if a bit twee. I was literally sad and upset and almost expressed a tear before I realized that since this is a soap opera, the handsome Santos (not that I go that way, but aesthetically, he is leading-man good-looking) may come back as a friendly ghost.


See, ever the optimist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home