The Bunny Blog

A small, yellow aesthete navigating the line between high and low culture.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Oh - la - la Rue

Many of my friends know that one of my favorite books is Loni Anderson's autobiography, "My Life in High Heels." It is a highly readable dish about her life in the stage, as a single mother, and as a luscious blond superstar. The last 4 or 5 chapters, when she finds out about Burt Reynold's cheatin' heart, are engrossing and oft read by this rabbit. (When she realizes "BR"'s theatre troop had to entertain both Loni and Burt's lover on alternate weeks...the deliciously terrible brazenness of it all!!)

I now have the perfect companion to Loni's book. It's called "My First Five Husbands," Rue McLanahan's autobiography. It is engaging, jubilant, and in full recognition of the ridiculousness of the writer's poor judgement in men. Many juicy bits about her work on stage and screen are also there, without getting too gossipy. (Naturally, my favorite bits were about life as a Golden Girl - that superior show of all sitcoms.)



Like Ms. Anderson, "Eddi - Rue" was a slave to the craft, a talent honed on stage. Again, like Loni, she was also a sultry blond who had a child very young and raised the child almost completely on her own - whilst pursuing the starving artist life, something I cannot imagine.

All told, perfect beach reading for this weekend and now passed on to my roommates. Hours of fun, my pets - there's no better way to pass a hot lazy afternoon than in the company of two fantastic blonds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home